Solid Waste Consulting Project Manager – Engineering
GBB is an international solid waste management consulting firm that helps public- and private-sector organizations craft practical, customized and technically sound solutions for complex solid waste management challenges. Clients come to us for our independent, objective advice that helps them plan and implement solid waste management programs that improve efficiencies, save money, enhance customer service and protect the environment. Since 1980, we have been a trusted resource at the forefront of the industry, creating success stories that integrate smart planning with effective management of solid waste services. Our Northern Virginia-based company (with many remote based staff) provides services that enable our clients to do more with less.
GBB is searching for a Solid Waste Consulting Project Manager – Engineering focus to manage the projects and do consulting work we do for clients around the United States and around the world. Depending on the level and relatedness of the candidate’s experience, we will consider a Project Manager or a Senior Project Manager level for hire. We are looking for a top performer who has a good understanding of engineering principles, is a strong team contributor, who can build and grow our business, and who has the flexibility that goes with growth and change and working in a virtual office and client base around the world. The candidate must be based in the continental United States.
The Project Manager (PM) with an engineering focus will manage projects demonstrating a high level of technical knowledge and expertise to ensure client satisfaction and company profitability, while also performing project tasks as well.
- Responsible for all aspects of projects managed, including scope, schedule, budget, quality of work, and supervision of all tasks and aspects of project(s).
- Manage and generate, with a degree of independence, multiple, critical, complex and high dollar value projects.
- Achieve personal direct labor utilization target assigned.
- Writing client reports and perform direct and indirect marketing activities including preparation of proposals and initiating and developing a network of contacts to expand Company business.
The PM must demonstrate:
- A positive attitude, be a self-starter, comfortable managing project team members and executing required tasks of the project(s), while working in teams and alone in a matrix management, primarily virtual, environment, and traveling as needed for project and Company business needs.
- Strong knowledge of general engineering principles and designing concepts.
- Superior oral, written and editing communication skills and have technically proficient math, problem solving /analysis skills.
- Ability to perform on an independent basis, managing project consulting staff and clients, while effectively communicating and collaborating with senior management and other consulting staff to develop and produce work product deliverables, prepare proposals, and execute marketing functions.
The Senior Project Manager (SrPM) has the same overall responsibilities and will manage projects demonstrating a higher level of independence and technical knowledge and expertise, requiring a higher level of engineering focus in experience to ensure client satisfaction and company profitability, while also performing project tasks.
- Assume responsibility, with a higher degree of independence, in accomplishing all tasks.
- Achieve personal direct labor utilization target assigned.
- Generate and create project work product deliverables.
- Writing client reports and perform direct and indirect marketing activities include more independent preparation of proposals as well as being responsible for developing and closing on new Company business.
- A SrPM will work with a very high degree of independence and professionalism representing the Company with clients and within the industry.
Bachelor’s degree required in engineering disciplines, including Mechanical, Civil and Environmental engineering. Other engineering disciplines will be considered dependent on the engineering experience held.
(Note: Additional Master’s degree in related Science, Engineering, Environmental, Planning or related major, from an accredited U.S. College or University or evaluated equivalent international institution, may be considered to replace two (2) years of the related experience noted below.)
- Minimum of five (5) or more years (for PM consideration) or seven (7) years (for Senior PM consideration) of relevant solid waste, urban planning, sustainability or closely related field work required with an engineering focus,
- Work experience must:
- For PM: INCLUDE a minimum of one (1) year of experience managing project management tasks or functioning as project manager at least half of the time and be able to discuss solid waste plans, studies, procurements, and financial models, etc.
- For SrPM: INCLUDE a minimum of at least three (3) or more years of full-time project management experience and be able to discuss solid waste plans, studies, procurements, and financial models, etc., and have experience in successful business development and sales experience.
(Note: a higher level of skills is required for the SrPM level)
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of general business computer software applications, including but not limited to: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and some form of PDF software application such as Adobe.
- Consulting experience with the public sector, particularly in solid waste / environmental areas highly preferable.
- Very helpful to be knowledgeable and experienced in project management software programs used in planning or engineering consulting fields. Experience with Deltek products a plus.
- Must demonstrate strong written, editing and oral communication skills.
- Must have developed and made formal presentations as outputs to clients.
- Satisfactory knowledge of the solid waste industry, highly preferred.
- Helpful to have written, as principal author, one (1) or more papers or articles pertinent to the solid waste industry.
- Preferred to have an established set of professional contacts in the field consisting of both public and private industry.
- Ability to travel as needed and maintain US Passport to travel domestically in the U.S. or internationally as needed.
- Must have a valid current U.S. State driver’s license.
- Be able to maintain criminal background clearances as required by clients and the Company.
This position will occasionally perform work in industrial sites and facilities and require travel as needed for project and company responsibilities. The work environment will require:
- An ability to climb multiple flights of stairs and ladders and to work from high platforms.
- An ability to work in hot and cold temperatures.
- The ability to work in dusty atmospheres with proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- The ability to wear and work in appropriate personal protective equipment including safety shoes, Safety Glasses, Full-Face respirator, and hearing protection.
- Night, weekend and off hours work may be necessary as needed by the project and the Company to coincide with facility shutdowns and construction/renovation work.
- The ability to travel by car, plane, train, or other modes to job assignment locations domestically and internationally.
- The ability to sit for extended periods of time to work on a computer or similar equipment.
Dependent upon experience and level hired, the salary range for this full-time exempt salaried role is $100-135K on an annualized basis.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Gershman, Brickner & Bratton, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Please forward your résumé and cover letter to GBB at GBBcareers@gbbinc.com. No phone calls please.