Solid Waste Consulting Engineer II
GBB is an international solid waste management consulting firm that helps public- and private-sector organizations craft practical, customized and technically sound solutions for complex solid waste management challenges. Clients come to us for our independent, objective advice that helps them plan and implement solid waste management programs that improve efficiencies, save money, enhance customer service and protect the environment. Since 1980 we have been a trusted resource at the forefront of the industry, creating success stories that integrate smart planning with effective management of solid waste services. Our Northern Virginia based company (with many remote based staff) provides services that enable our clients to do more with less.
NOTE: This is not an entry level role requiring work to be performed with an increased level of independence and responsibility in a matrix management organization with Project Manager(s) assigned and an administrative supervisor.
We are looking for a top performer who has a good understanding of engineering principles, is a strong team contributor with a positive attitude, who can make a strong technical contribution to project work, and who has the flexibility that goes with growth and change and working in a virtual office and a client base around the world. The candidate must be based in the continental United States.
The Consulting Engineer will utilize engineering technical knowledge and work experience to ensure client satisfaction and company success on projects. Some of the duties include:
- Conduct research including waste generation, recycling, disposal, facilities, pricing, markets, standards, reports, etc. in the industry.
- Conceptualize, collaborate, and contribute to development of solutions and recommendations with project team members, providing engineering, technical and business recommendations regarding solid waste and other technical systems for projects.
- Participate in field activities offsite such as waste sorts, facility inspections, routing audits, etc. doing equipment and/or systems inspections and assembling, analyzing and reporting on results.
- Create and maintain maps using Geographic Information System (GIS) or other software to show existing or potential systems, or to illustrate regional locations of interest.
- Travel, as needed, to GBB office, client or other sites to perform responsibilities and assignments. Travel may be national or international, as needed. Maintaining US Passport is needed in the case of international travel.
- Achieve direct labor utilization target for client billable work and report timely to manager any problems meeting utilization, project priority conflicts, or other related issues.
- Work remote from Office, and work in GBB office, client sites, etc. as required to perform responsibilities and assignments. Provide ample internet access and data plan for effective completion of job duties.
- Effectively communicate with all project internal and external team members using all resources available to ensure quality of work products for clients.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline including Mechanical, Civil, or Environmental Engineering from an accredited U.S. College or University or evaluated equivalent international institution. Other related engineering discipline majors will be considered depending on directly relevant work experience.
NOTE: Four (4) to six (6) years of related engineering-based experience in addition to the experience noted below may be considered to replace degree requirements.
One (1) or more years of engineering related work experience specifically in solid waste, environmental, science, engineering, or related businesses is required.
Preferred, but not required, to have taken and passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) NCEES Exam.
- Applicant must demonstrate knowledge of general engineering principles and designing concepts.
- Moderate to advanced working knowledge building and using Microsoft Excel, with technically proficient math skills including using math within Excel spreadsheet and databases for analysis.
- Must demonstrate excellent written, editing, and oral communication skills necessary to perform assignments including writing high quality technical and non-technical reports and deliverables.
- Ability to conduct internet-based research, synthesize and analyze information.
- Geographic Information System (GIS) or other computer modeling experience preferable but not required.
- Solid waste management training or related field a plus.
- Comfortable with working both alone and in teams, virtually and on site.
- Must have a valid and current U.S. state drivers license to be able to drive a vehicle as needed.
- Be able to maintain criminal background clearances required by clients and the Company.
- This position will primarily be performed in a personal home, but also in business and commercial offices with occasional need to perform work in industrial sites and facilities.
- Industrial work environment (s) assignments will require:
- The ability to climb multiple flights of stairs and ladders;
- The ability to work from high platforms;
- The ability to work in hot or cold temperatures;
- The ability to work in dusty atmospheres with proper personal protective equipment; and
- The ability to wear and work in appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) including, but not limited to, safety shoes, safety glasses, full-face respirator, and hearing protection.
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally, as needed, to various locations via airplane, train, car etc.
- Ability to sit for long periods doing computer work.
Dependent upon required degree, experience and level hired, the salary range for this full-time exempt salaried role of the Consulting Engineer II is expected to be $62,000 – 73,000K on an annualized basis.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Gershman, Brickner & Bratton Inc. is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Please forward your résumé and cover letter to GBB at GBBcareers@gbbinc.com. No phone calls please.