Title: Project Manager
Reports to: Vice President or other designated manager
Location: This is a position for work to be performed from either:
- A home office anywhere in the United States
- GBB’s headquarters in McLean, VA, in the Washington, DC metropolitan area
Note that GBB staff are currently primarily working virtually, from home offices, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is unknown when we will resume working at our headquarters again.
The Project Manager (PM) will provide technical and project management services using a high level of technical knowledge and competence to ensure client satisfaction and company profitability. Assume responsibility for the scope, planning, scheduling, budgeting, execution, supervision, and completion of all aspects of project management, performing project and management assignments with a high degree of independence. Perform marketing activities to initiate development of marketing base and/or network of contacts important to expanding company business.
- Primary Responsibilities
- Direct, review and guide project personnel on technical matters, under review of the Officer-in-Charge (OIC).
- Provide technical liaison among client, project staff, and other involved parties, communicating with Company senior management concerning progress on projects or other related issues.
- Participate in professional development activities to increase knowledge and broaden contact base.
- Provide project management services, including the following tasks:
- Assume responsibility for the planning and execution of projects assigned;
- Ensure technical accuracy of services;
- Provide guidance, training and mentoring to consulting staff;
- Supervise project personnel, as assigned;
- Monitor, maintain and report project budgets within established limits;
- Ensure quality of project deliverables and adherence to project schedules for deliverables and other deadlines; and
- Maintain a positive relationship with all client colleagues.
- Coordinate contract obligations with Accounting for which GBB is responsible.
- Achieve direct labor utilization target and report to senior management any problems in meeting utilization, project priority conflicts, or other related issues as soon as PM becomes aware of them.
- Direct and Indirect Marketing:
- Coordinate marketing activities with Marketing Manager.
- Identify and develop marketing opportunities, strategies and follow-on work with current clients including specific areas, as assigned.
- Prepare presentations and proposals including work scope, staffing, budget, schedule, etc., and provide quality assurance and quality control of final marketing documents prior to final submission to potential client, coordinating with Marketing Manager and senior management.
- Present papers at, and participate in, industry meetings and conferences related to GBB’s business.
- Develop and maintain client/other contacts important to GBB, identifying opportunities for Company business.
- Secondary Responsibilities
- Comply with GBB’s policies and procedures, including submission of reports, and other company-required documents and forms on a timely basis.
- Work Remote from Office and work in GBB office when required.
- Travel, as needed up to 25% work time, to perform assignments.
- Work at Client sites, as needed, to perform assignments.
- Other duties as assigned by Company management.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, environmental, project management, or environmental planning and management disciplines (including Environmental, Strategic Planning, Civil, Industrial, Mechanical, Process or Manufacturing Engineering) required. Other related engineering and non-engineering disciplines related to Solid Waste will be considered in place of the degree noted above depending on relevant work experience.
- Alternatively Acceptable: Engineering, Environmental and Planning related studies OR a non-related bachelor’s degree (such as Financial Analysis), AND a minimum of 5 to 7 years of related field experience may be considered in place of a related bachelor’s degree.
- Three (3) or more years of relevant solid waste or closely related field work, or a combination of related work such as environmental engineering, consulting, materials management, materials processing required in addition to any experience noted above in place of a related degree.
- Must be knowledgeable in the use of principal computer software applications used in the consulting profession. This includes but is not limited to: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and some form of PDF software application such as Bluebeam Revu.
- Must demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must have formally presented project outputs to clients.
- Must have served as a PM or the main task manager, and be able to discuss them, on several major projects (e.g., waste quantification composition, energy markets and materials markets, technology options, siting, procurement, environmental impact statements/assessment, permitting, negotiations, and financing options, implementation assistance, etc.)
- Satisfactory knowledge of the solid waste industry, highly preferred.
- Preferred Experiences and Contacts include:
- Having written, as principal author, three or more papers or articles pertinent to the field; and
- Having an established set of professional contacts in the field consisting of both public and private industry.
Each staff person will normally be evaluated on the level of success on the following performance factors, as applicable, including, but not limited to:
- Job knowledge;
- Quality of work products;
- Cost consciousness/budget administration;
- Planning/ability to meet deadlines;
- Problem solving;
- Supervisory skills;
- Communication skills;
- Initiative/creativity; and
This position will occasionally perform work in industrial sites and facilities. The work environment will require:
- An ability to climb multiple flights of stairs and ladders and to work from high platforms.
- An ability to work in hot temperatures.
- The ability to work in dusty atmospheres with proper personal protective equipment.
- The ability to wear and work in appropriate personal protective equipment including safety shoes, Safety Glasses, Full-Face respirator, and hearing protection.
- Night and weekend work may be necessary as needed by the project and the Company to coincide with facility shutdowns and construction/renovation work.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Gershman, Brickner & Bratton Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Please e-mail your résumé and cover letter to GBBcareers@gbbinc.com
No phone calls please.
Criminal Background Checks will be conducted for all positions.
* Note: Positions in this category are limited based upon job availability and are subject to change and different duties may be assigned, as needed. The job description is intended to provide guidance for employees and managers, however, placement of any individual within a particular job is a managerial function and will be determined by GBB Management based upon their overall assessment of the need to maintain the efficiency of operations and to determine the personnel, methods, means, and facilities by which all operations are conducted.